The Visual Trust project is looking for a postdoctoral researcher for the study outer space!
This postdoctoral researcher will be part of a research team based at the Faculty of Geography and History of the University of Barcelona. He/she will carry out Task 3.1 titled (Dis)trust in images of outer space: visual and data evidence, imagination & knowledge, and scientific aesthetics.
The researcher in charge of this task will have to be able to conduct qualitative research through audiovisual media, bringing together anthropology, STS studies (in particular physics and/or astronomy) and visual qualitative research.
The main functions and responsibilities of this researcher will be:
- Elaborate a state of the art in relation to current investigations on anthropology of images applied in the study of the outer space. It also includes analyzing “false” or “untrustworthy” images that circulate, especially through Internet.
- Contact agents involved in the making, dissemination and reception of scientific images and investigate how they use and conceptualize them in terms of (mis)trust. This researcher will make interviews and participant observation with these agents based on an ethical and methodological protocol provided by the PI. This fieldwork will include the using of audio-visual devices (provided by the project). Training on the specific methodology of the project will be provided. This researcher will have to safely store the research documentation and share it with the PI, according to the established protocol. Technical devices will be provided by the project.
- Code the interviews and the images filmed or gathered during fieldwork using software for qualitative visual data analysis. Training for this software and for the data Management Plan will be provided.
- Attend relevant public events (conferences, meetings, exhibitions) as part of the research project. Participate in the seminars of the project in which the relations between “scientific”, “religious” and “social” images in terms of (mis)trust will be discussed.
- Participating actively in the updating of the website of the project, the social networks of the project and in the scientific meetings.
- Disseminate the results of the research conducted via scientific papers, book chapters, films and photographs co-signed with the PI to be presented at international, academic conferences and to be submitted to international, scientific journals. The project will cover the travel expenses related to data collection and to the participation in Conferences (up to a maximum established in the budget approved by the ERC).
Please send by December 16, 2022 (23:59h Barcelona time) your CV, application letter and 2 letters of recommendation to the project email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any language certificate proving your language skills, please submit it as well.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact the Project Administrator, Raquel Cañadas: email@example.com.
We will communicate our decision to shortlisted candidates on December 20, 2022.
Interviews will take place on January 18 (online).
To see all the information, here to access the Euraxess website.